Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Travel-Log: Jan 9 -12th

I left Sechelt earlier in the morning than I planned. It seems I couldn’t sleep that night and so caught the first ferry to the Island via Powell River. I went over to Neil and Monika’s and left my kayak there and played Monika a few tunes on my dulcimer.

After meeting up and taking Ann to lunch I had the opportunity to visit with Mom and Owen (and Jim) at the same time to say a final good-bye.

Then I skirted down the island to Victoria and Katie. Victoria wasn’t home but Katie was. After spending a lovely warm day on Saturday with Katie I left her sleepy-head early Sunday morning to catch the ferry to the mainland and then drive south.

Sunday was a rainy foggy day and I made good time to Miriam and Thomas’s in Oregon. The only event I can report is that the border guards at the US border pulled me over because I didn’t have my Green Card with me, so they made me “abandon” it. That is I no longer have a green card. It was about to expire anyway and I wasn’t planning on renewing it, so this was no great loss to me.

It was really nice to see Miriam and Thomas again. I think the last time I saw them was in Toronto many years ago for a brief visit, and before that in 1979 in England where we met and lived just outside of Farnham, Surrey. Other than just catching up on life and events and having a wonderful supper that Miriam made, their cat left me a present on my bed while I slept. Very thoughtful. (or not)

So today (Monday, January 12, 2009) I drove for 12.75 hours (half in fog) from Eugene, Oregon to Bakersfield, California where I will recover from today only to do it again tomorrow when I head off to see Paul Labarre in Albuquerque, New Mexico. I’ll spend a day with Paul. But this drive should be more scenic as I now head East across the Rockies.

Mark

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. --Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment